Normal business hours are Monday to Friday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.
GET TO KNOW US
At Jan K. Overweel, we see plates as passports. From east to west or sweet to savory, we’re tasting our way through the world and sending the finest fares home with care. We Shop the World to bring the finest and most innovative food products from around the globe.
Over the past 50 years our family of employees has helped develop an organization across Canada with offices and distribution centres in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. We offer quality products from around the world and market both imported and owned brands such as EMMA, CASA ITALIA, MILANO. Our corporate philosophy is “WE SHOP THE WORLD” and we will continue to travel and search for the best products the world has to offer.
Jan K. Overweel Limited prides itself on treating all employees with respect. We believe that this allows our employees to utilize their skills to meet our customers’ and organizational needs in the best way possible. Our corporate wellbeing rests on the fact that decisions are made not only for today’s results but also for their long-term implication in developing an organization committed to providing superior products and service to our customers.
IN A SNAPSHOT
Reporting to the Corporate Controller, the Senior Accounts Payable Specialist is directly responsible for Processing invoices received for payments and for undertaking the payment of all individuals, suppliers, corporations, and other entities in an accurate efficient and timely manner. This position involves administrative interaction to provide billing information and support in order to facilitate daily bank reconciliations.
WHERE YOU WILL SPEND YOUR TIME
- Accounts Payable for separate entities; including corporate head office, plants and foreign subsidiaries. Handling high invoice volumes in multi-currency from domestic and international vendors.
- Fully Cycle Accounts Payable: Reviews, sorts, 3-way matching, coding, approvals, cheque runs (post, print and match), identify errors or discrepancies and timely resolution before processing. Ensures proper approval obtained prior to payment.
- Questions inconsistencies. Researches and corrects invoice discrepancies. Resolves purchase order and invoice discrepancies.
- Prepare weekly payment plan for manager approval and assist with forecasting future weekly payments for cash flow purposed. Collaborate with treasurer.
- Ensures the accuracy of accounts payable reports, maintains accurate back-up documents and guarantees that all unpaid invoices are processed.
- Payment application. Ensure applications of all payments (both cheque and wire).
- Vendor Management
- Verifies vendor accounts by reconciling monthly vendor statements. Research and resolve any outstanding balances on vendor accounts. Ensure all application of invoices are up to date. Review all credit balances, refunds, and adjustments, and apply adjustments and/or corrections.
- Vendor card maintenance – create new vendors and maintain current vendors in ERP. Identify duplicate or inactive vendors, miscoded vendor classes and income codes, or opportunities for electronic payment.
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with new and existing vendors.
- Review, analyze and respond to external/internal supplier inquiries.
- Reconciliation and accounting entries for all auto debts to bank accounts.
- Review open PO report weekly, research and follow up with procurement analyst for timely resolution.
- Monthly bank reconciliations. Multiple entities and multiple bank accounts.
- Leases – month end entries, maintenance of Lease commitments schedule and electronic copies of new lease agreements.
- Inter-company postings.
- Credit card statements, back up and approvals.
- Blue Box and Stewardship for all provinces including the preparation and submission via portal. Ensure all requirements are fulfilled in a timely manner and no penalties are incurred.
- Strong working knowledge of the general ledger and its relationship to financial statements. General ledger and account reconciliations. Post and reconcile company payments to general ledgers.
- Responsible for void cheque process.
- Perform journal entries for adjustment to the general ledger.
- Provide accounts payable month end accrual to Senior Accountant for month-end close.
- Provide prepaid amortization schedules to Senior Accountant for booking.
- Ensure month end & year end cut-offs are adhered to and all invoices are entered and dealt with in a timely manner.
- Perform Accounts Payable and Administrative filing duties. Ensures all processed AP payments are filed weekly. Maintains files and documentation thoroughly and accurately in accordance with company policy and accepted accounting practices.
- Ensure accuracy of data and reporting of all account’s payable transactions in ERP.
- Responsible for accuracy in coding, tax accruals, signature approvals and appropriate back up documentation.
- Assist business partners with any inquiries.
- Prepare monthly account analysis Excel Schedules.
- Update financial spreadsheets.
- Prepare and distribute payment reports and statistics to key personnel.
- Ensure the strict confidentiality and privacy of financial records as they relate to the organization and its business partners.
- Ensure corporate A/P policies and procedures are followed. Recommend additional process and controls where needed.
- Collaborate with the Accounting/Treasury to maintain A/P performance levels.
- Perform other duties as required as assigned by the Corporate Controller and/or designate.
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU
- Minimum of 3 years’ direct experience in a senior A/P capacity.
- Accounting diploma or working towards accounting degree or diploma or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Solid understanding of basic bookkeeping and accounts payable principals, with strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Able to perform moderate to complex account reconciliations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and inter-personal skills, as well as the ability to work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability to accurately calculate, post, correct, and manage accounting figures and financial records.
- Strong knowledge of payment regulations and fair credit practices.
- Experience in gathering data, compiling the proper information, and preparing financial reports.
- Basic knowledge of accounting systems, budgets, and internal controls.
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office productivity suite, specifically Excel.
- Highly organized. Effective attention to detail and a high degree of data entry accuracy.
- Strong work ethic and positive team attitude. Excellent teamwork and team building skills.
- Sound analytical thinking, planning, prioritization, and execution skills.
- Able to build and maintain lasting relationships with other departments, key business partners, and government agencies.
- Strong problem identification and problem resolution skills.
- Must possess a high level of moral judgment for handling confidential information and monetary transactions.
Why work for JKO?
- Competitive Salary
- Health & Dental Benefits
- Vision Care
- Personal Days
- Vacation Time Off
- Employee Family Assistance Program
- Discount on Company Products
- Onsite Parking
Jan K. Overweel Ltd. is committed in providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disability Act (AODA). If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please let us know if you require any accommodation throughout the recruitment process.
Location of Position
3700 Steeles Ave W
Woodbridge, ON L4L 8K8
Fax (905) 850-2874