Accessibility for Ontarians with Disability Act (AODA)
Jan K. Overweel Ltd. is committed to being responsive to the needs of person with disabilities. All good and services provided by Jan k. Overweel Ltd. will follow the principles of dignity, independence, integration and equal opportunity. This policy applies to all employees, temporary staff, volunteers and consultants.
Jan K. Overweel Ltd Accessibility Policy will be in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA), Regulations 429/07, Accessibility Standards for Customer Service and with the Ontario Human Rights Code.
A technical aid, communication device, or other instrument that is used to maintain or improve the functional abilities of people with disabilities. Personal assistive devices are typically devices that customers bring with them, such as a wheelchair, walker, or a personal oxygen tank, and that might assist in hearing, seeing, communicating, moving, breathing, remembering, or reading.
“Disability” is defined as:
- Any degree of physical disability, infirmity, malformation or disfigurement that is caused by bodily injury, birth defect or illness and, without limiting the generality of the foregoing, includes diabetes mellitus, epilepsy, a brain injury, any degree of paralysis, amputation, lack of physical co-ordination, blindness or visual impediment, deafness or hearing impediment, muteness or speech impediment, or physical reliance on a guide dog or other animal or on a wheelchair or other remedial appliance or device.
- A condition of mental impairment or a developmental disability.
- A learning disability or a dysfunction in one or more of the processes involved in understanding or using symbols or spoken language.
- A mental disorder.
- An injury or disability for which benefits were claimed or received under the insurance plan established under the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, 1997.
In relation to a person with a disability, another person who accompanies them in order to help with communication, mobility, personal care, medical needs, or access to good and services.
A highly trained working dog that has been trained at one of the facilities listed in Ontario Regulation 58 under the Blind Persons Rights Act, to provide mobility, safety, and increased independence for people who are blind.
A service animal for a person with a disability if:
- The animal can be readily identified as one that is being used by the person for reasons relating to the person’s disability, as a result of visual indicators such as the vest or harness worn by the animal; or
- The person provides documentation from a regulated health professionals confirm that the person requires the animal for reason relating to the disability.
Jan K. Overweel Ltd. will ensure all persons with disabilities will be given every opportunity to participate in services offered by Jan K. Overweel. Jan K. Overweel Ltd is committed to the excellence in serving all persons with disabilities and will carry out Ltd. functions and responsibilities in the following areas:
Accessible Customer Service
- Goods and services will be provided in a manner that respects the dignity and independence of persons with disabilities.
- The provision of goods or services to persons with disabilities and others will be included unless a different alternate is required, whether it is temporary in allowing a person with a disability to obtain, use or benefit from the goods or services.
- Persons with disabilities will be given an equal opportunity to that given to others to obtain, use and benefit from goods and services.
Assistive devices is anything that is developed, made, designed or adapted that helps an individual with a disability do everyday tasks. Jan K. Overweel Ltd. welcomes the use of assistive devices by persons with disabilities to use and benefit from. All services will be recognized and supported. Staff will be provided with assistive devices or special equipment where possible and appropriate. Staff will continuously monitor the state of the devices and will inform their supervisor of any required repairs needed for the devices.
Jan. K Overweel Ltd. is committed in welcoming people with disabilities along with their support person to any Jan K. Overweel Ltd. property. If a customer with a disability is accompanied by a support person, Jan K Overweel Ltd. will ensure that both persons may enter the premises together and that the customer is not prevented from having access to the support person. In situations where confidential information might be discussed, consent will be obtained from the customer before any potentially confidential information is mentioned. There will be no additional fees incurred as a result of accompaniment by a support person.
Jan K. Overweel Ltd. welcomes people with disabilities who are accompanied by a service dog on parts of the premises that are open to the public and other third parties.
Service animals are prohibited from Jan K. Overweel Ltd. where there is preparation and storage of food. As well, when the presence of a dog would be a serious risk to another person. In the event of either situation, Jan K.Overweel Ltd. will find alternative means to accommodate the person with the disability.
When interacting with a person with a disability who may use one or more assistive devices, employee’s responsibilities:
- Ensure that the person is able to enter Jan K. Overweel Ltd. premises with the device and to use the device to access goods or services.
- Ensure that the person with the disability is aware of the assistive devices available at Jan K. Overweel Ltd.
- Offer an assistive device in a manner that respects the person’s dignity and independence.
- Offer assistance with an assistive device to the person with a disability in a respectable manner.
- Remove potential barriers for the use of assistive devices where possible.
- Ensure to get directions on the use of the assistive device from the person prior to assisting with the device.
- Provide communication regarding their services, accessibility and policies in a manner that takes into account the person’s disability.
- Ensure that agency publications, information and any disruptions to services is provided in a variety of formats, to include but not limited to electronic, voice message, print signage, agency website or publications.
- Provide fully accessible telephone services to the person with a disability, and if required alternative forms of communications will be offered (email, TTY or email services).
- Notifies applicants and employees about the availability of accommodation for job applicants who have disabilities. Applicants will be informed of available accommodations upon request, for the Interview process and for other candidate selection methods.
- Train all Jan K. Overweel Ltd. employees’ on how to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities.
Notice of Service Disruption
In the event that there will be temporary disruption (closures, repairs, etc.), Jan. K. Overweel Ltd. will post information including the reason for the disruption, anticipated duration and alternatives to access services, and contact information. Notice of these disruptions will include, but not limited to Jan K. Overweel Ltd. head office telephone voicemail, company’s website, email and or posted signage in conspicuous places.
- All employees will be provided training on this policy during orientation.
- Training will include, but not limited to Accessibility for Ontarians Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA) and the requirements of the Accessibility Standards for Customer Service Ontario Regulation 429/07.
- All Jan K. Overweel Ltd. employees must adhere to this policy, and failure to do so will result in disciplinary action.
- All Jan K. Overweel Ltd. temporary staff, volunteers and consultants must adhere to this policy, and failure to do so may result in termination of services.
Customer Feedback Process
Jan K. Overweel Ltd. shall provide customers with the opportunity to provide feedback on the service provided to customers with disabilities. Information about the feedback process will be readily available to all customers. Feedback forms, along with alternate methods of providing feedback verbally (in person or by telephone) or written (handwritten, delivered, website, or email), will be available upon request.
Customer Feedback Forms
Customers who wish to provide feedback by completing an onsite customer feedback form or verbally can do so to any Jan K. Overweel Ltd. employee. Customers who provide formal feedback will received acknowledgement of their feedback, along with any resulting actions based on concerns or complaints that were submitted.
Let Your Tastes Travel Further.