GET TO KNOW US
At Jan K. Overweel, we see plates as passports. Fresh slates that can transport you anywhere when the finest ingredients are put upon them. From east to west and sweet to savory, we’re tasting our way through the world and sending the finest fares home with care. We Shop the World to bring the finest and most innovative food products from around the globe.
Over the past 50 years our family of employees has helped develop an organization across Canada with offices and distribution centres in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. We offer quality products from around the world and market both imported and owned brands such as EMMA, CASA ITALIA, MILANO, to name a few. Our corporate philosophy is “WE SHOP THE WORLD” and we will continue to travel and search for the best products the world has to offer.
Jan K. Overweel Limited prides itself on treating all employees with respect. We believe that this allows our employees to utilize their skills to meet our customers’ and organizational needs in the best way possible. Our corporate wellbeing rests on the fact that decisions are made not only for today’s results but also for their long-term implication in developing an organization committed to providing superior products and service to our customers.
IN A SNAPSHOT
Reporting to the Corporate Director of Quality Assurance, Regulatory Affairs and Food Safety, Quality Assurance and Food Safety, QA Manager will be responsible for the quality, food safety and respective compliance function of the company, including owned manufacturing facilities, co-manufacturers, ingredient and packaging vendors, and warehousing and distribution sites. This will include providing strategic vision and leadership to the organization while taking a proactive approach to the navigation of all food quality and/or regulatory compliance regulations within the business, both domestically and internationally.
Will serve as an expert resource regarding quality and food safety at every stage from sourcing through manufacturing and distribution. This will involve developing professional relationships with plant leadership teams, quality leaders, R & D leaders, suppliers, regulators and auditors to ensure division product safety strategies are implemented. This role will also collaborate with leadership in R & D, purchasing, sales, marketing, legal, operations and other areas to integrate quality and food safety considerations into strategic planning.
WHERE YOU WILL SPEND YOUR TIME
- Leading the development, implementation and maintenance of the Quality and Food Safety/ BRCGS programs and assuring cross-functional alignment and accountability across the division.
- Conducting internal audits of all JKO facilities (JKO warehouse, manufacturing facilities etc.).
- Lead all customer and 3rd party audits.
- Provide support in conducting Quality and Food Safety related risk assessments.
- Management of supplier approval program across all JKO Facilities (programs, supplier assessment, performance & Documentation).
- Review and update all quality related programs (e.g., SOP, SSOP’s, Product SOPs etc.).
- Continuously identifying food safety risks and leading the implementation of risk mitigation strategies.
- Assist QA Coordinators and production supervisors in annual employee training, food safety culture reviews etc.
- Establishing clear goals/objectives to enhance food safety and quality.
- Staying abreast of new food laws and regulations and assuring the business unit is in compliance with all local, state and federal food laws.
- Developing Quality and Food Safety metrics that align with the overall business objectives.
- Developing a robust microbiological testing p program for all locations that ensures food safety for our consumers. Complies fully with all regulatory expectations and positions the company positively within the industry.
- Leading all food safety non-compliance crisis situation and assuring the organisation has a well thought out plan of action.
- Act as a back up for HACCP Coordinators, QA Supervisors and Regulatory Affairs Manager across all JKO Facilities.
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU
- A bachelor’s degree in food science, microbiology or related field; a master’s is preferred.
- 5 + years of progressing experience in Ready to Eat (RTE) Food Manufacturing (Meat Products), Food Safety, Quality, Operations or R& D at managerial level.
- Advanced knowledge of CFIA (FSEP), SFCR, USDA.FSIS (e.g., Cooked, fermented products) regulations is a mandatory requirement.
- Experience executing major initiatives related to structures, culture and/or programs.
- Proven change management skills.
- A demonstrated ability to drive results in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience with GFSI certification schemes (SQF, BRC, etc.)
- Efficient computer skills and the ability to leverage technology to achieve goals.
- Exceptional leadership skills, including a hands-on approach the ability to influence and motivate others.
- Strong interpersonal skills, along with supporting verbal and written communication abilities.
- Previous experience in oversight of Food Safety programs in multiple locations is strongly desired.
- Experience in public companies is an asset.
- Able to travel both domestic and international. In addition, travel work with co-manufacturers and vendors.
Jan K. Overweel Ltd. is committed in providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disability Act (AODA). If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please let us know if you require any accommodation throughout the recruitment process.
Location of Position
65 Deerhurst Drive
Fax (905) 850-2874