Jan K. Overweel Limited (JKO) specializes in importing, distribution and production of food products from all over the world. Our cheeses, deli meats and grocery items are all chosen for their quality ingredients and delicious flavours. These distinctive products come from areas throughout Europe, Australia, New Zealand, South America, the U.S. and Canada.
A private corporation that was established in 1947 as an importer of Dutch products. Today, we proudly produce products for our own heritage brands: EMMA®, Milano®, Casa Italia®, Piaceri D’Italia®, Duero®, Cortina®, Cedarvalle®, Oak Manor®, Sucre & Beurre by Milano™, and 1128 Crafted in Portugal™ in our local and international production facilities. We also represent many other brands within our extensive portfolio.
The Senior Accountant will be responsible for the monthly financial accounting close process. The successful candidate would ideally have experience with corporate accounting at a privately owned company, with an understanding of legal entity reporting and tax compliance.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly financial statements, reports and records by collecting, analyzing and summarizing account information.
- Posting of journal entries, reconciliation of Balance Sheet accounts and review as required.
- Responsible for the accuracy and investigation of discrepancies of the General Ledger.
- Coordinate and direct the preparation of the budget and financial forecasts, institute and maintain other planning and control procedures (include the cost accounting system) and analyze and report variances.
- Responsible for tax planning and compliance with Federal, Provincial and local corporate, payroll and other applicable taxes including USA.
- Listing of intercompany transactions.
- Bank Monthly package.
- Filing and review of HST/QST.
- Coordinate with GT Filing of tax returns-installment payments. Annual Report Filing.
- Prepare commission payment and required reporting for the US.
- Reporting package-AR Schedules and review.
- Oversee issuing of checks/payment of invoices.
- Processing and reporting of Fixed assets.
- Research and reconcile all discrepancies.
- Maintain year-end working papers and spreadsheets and assist with preparation of audits or independent reviews with support from Corporate Controller.
- Maintain an accurate and complete trail of supporting documentation for all financial activities.
- Maintain up to date, complete and systematic filing system to support financial records.
- Furnish internal reports, revise and update reports to be more useful and efficient and furnish external reports as necessary.
- Prepare forensic accounting services as necessary.
- Follow internal controls.
- Financial and profitability analysis.
- Maintain investment schedules; oversee cash flow requirements, and communication with bankers.
- Assist in analysis of company financing and banking.
- Prepare / review weekly borrowing base reporting.
- Assist management with monthly and quarterly reporting.
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, finance or related field required.
- The ideal candidate is a designated CPA (CA/CGA/CMA) with 5 to 8 years of solid progressive accounting and financial reporting experience as a Corporate Accountant.
- Experience in the Food & Manufacturing industry would be an asset.
- Experience in managing and leading would be an asset.
- Excellent communication both written and verbal and interpersonal skills.
- Works independently and be accountable.
- Very good organizational skills and able to build strong working relationships with different types of internal stakeholders.
- Experience working with Microsoft Power BI / Just Foods would be an asset.
- Experience with continuous process improvements.
- Possesses strong problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to establish, meet critical deadlines and prioritize work.
- Team oriented and analytical skills.
Jan K. Overweel Ltd. is committed in providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disability Act (AODA). If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please let us know if you require any accommodation throughout the recruitment process.
Location of Position
3700 Steeles Ave W
Angela Bakker, HR Manager
Fax (905) 850-2874